Thursday, August 15, 2013

Throwback Thursday (2)


Welcome to Throwback Thursday!!! In this weekly post I will be mentioning some books from the past that are near and dear to my heart. The purpose is not to do a FULL review, but just tell you a little about the book itself and some little tidbits I loved about it. :)

This week I chose to throw ALL THE WAY back to Harriet the Spy. Some of you young ones might not have a clue what I'm talking about, so let me introduce you to one of the early books that changed my life. ;)


Book: Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥
Goodreads Synopsis:

Harriet M. Welsch is a spy. In her notebook, she writes down everything she knows about everyone, even her classmates and her best friends. Then Harriet loses track of her notebook, and it ends up in the wrong hands. Before she can stop them, her friends have read the always truthful, sometimes awful things she's written about each of them. Will Harriet find a way to put her life and her friendships back together?


I'm going back to my Elementary years...I was obsessed with Harriet the Spy! I walked around with my black composition book-because I was a legit spy like that-and took my notes. It caused me to go through a phase of eating nothing but tomato and mayonnaise sandwiches. I watched the movie religiously! Anyone else on board with my nerd train? I can not say enough good things about this book, or the movie. I'm actually going to get on Amazon when I'm done with this post and order it because I'm all nostalgic thinking about it. :) 

This is a book that can be enjoyed at any age. Harriet is a cranky, honest, and yet, you can't help but love her. It teaches you about individualism, empathy, honesty, and little life lessons you need when growing up. It keeps you on your toes because you just never know what little quirky Harriet is going to be up to next. It's of course a light read for someone older, but I still think it would be greatly enjoyed. If you are in a book slump, it might be just what you need. If you haven't read it yet, I urge you to give it a try! I will leave you with these wise words: 

"You can't be too old to spy except if you were fifty you might fall off a fire escape, but you could spy around on the ground a lot." -Louise Fitzhugh, Harriet the Spy

♥Crystal

Have you read this book? Were you Harriet obsessed like me? Leave me some love and let me know. :)

10 comments:

  1. I liked Harriet the Spy, but I was obsessed with Charlotte's Web, Ralph S. Mouse, and the Ramona series. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED Charlotte's Web also and the Ramona Series. Miami already has both of those. :) I want to say that I still have my copy of Charlotte's Web at my parents.

      Delete
  2. OMG Harriet the Spy... I wanted a composition book so bad after reading this! I may re-read this one now lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so taken back lol I want to read it again and watch the movie now!

      Delete
  3. Here's mine! :) http://www.thepaige-turner.com/2013/08/throwback-thursday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never read Harriet the Spy, but loved Judy Blume's books (especially Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret), Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series, and Natalie Babbitt's Tuck Everlasting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What???? Mary you must read it!!! Or at least watch the movie! Something!

      Delete
  5. I feel so old after seeing this. This used to be one of my favorite books! Harriet really teaches us to be ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not, under any circumstancs, allowed to feel old. That would mean I'm old......ummm no! Lol

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! I try to always comment back :)