Thursday, August 29, 2013

Throwback Thursday (4)



Welcome to Throwback Thursday!!! In this weekly post I will be mentioning some books from the past that are near and dear to my heart. The purpose is not to do a FULL review, but just tell you a little about the book itself and some little tidbits I loved about it.

 I have also had a few other bloggers contact me in joining this weekly meme. If you are interested feel free to contact me. :-)


Book: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Genre: Children's Fiction
Published: 1964 (First Publication)

Synopsis:

Willy Wonka's famous chocolate factory is opening at last!

But only five lucky children will be allowed inside. And the winners are: Augustus Gloop, an enormously fat boy whose hobby is eating; Veruca Salt, a spoiled-rotten brat whose parents are wrapped around her little finger; Violet Beauregarde, a dim-witted gum-chewer with the fastest jaws around; Mike Teavee, a toy pistol-toting gangster-in-training who is obsessed with television; and Charlie Bucket, Our Hero, a boy who is honest and kind, brave and true, and good and ready for the wildest time of his life!


“Mr. Wonka: "Don’t forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted."
Charlie Bucket: "What happened?"
Mr. Wonka: "He lived happily ever after.” -Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


I'm assuming that most of you have read this book, or at least seen the movie. If not I really urge you to go do it NOW! It is a classic right alongside Charlotte's Web. It is a book filled with magic that will make you smile and several life lessons thrown in that all kids should learn. 

It's been YEARS since I have read this book so my memory isn't the best on EVERY little detail in the book, but I do recall the magical world that this book showed me and the fact that it was all about candy. What kid wouldn't love that? (Or adult for that matter.) 

“EATABLE MARSHMALLOW PILLOWS 

LICKABLE WALLPAPER FOR NURSERIES 

HOT ICE CREAMS FOR COLD DAYS 

COWS THAT GIVE CHOCOLATE MILK 

FIZZY LIFTING DRINKS 

SQUARE SWEETS THAT LOOK ROUND”  -Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


Charlie ends up being a lucky boy who wins a ticket to go to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. The factory hasn't allowed anyone inside the gates for a long time so this is a HUGE once in a life time opportunity. There are also 4 other winners that he will go see the factory with. All the personalities of the winners are completely opposite so it is an interesting bunch of characters that you get to see.
Charlie and Grandpa Joe get to see how all the candy is made and find some unexpected magical things along the way. Oompa-Loompas, gum that tastes like a full meal, a chocolate river, things like that. Mr. Wonka is not what they thought he would be and they end up having to go through a lot of unexpected twists and turns to make it through the factory. In this factory candy isn't just candy. 

“Rainbow drops - suck them and you can spit in six different colours.” -Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Now the first movie rendition of this book I absolutely ADORED. The actors were perfect for the parts and it had a complete Charlie and the Chocolate Factory appeal. It was perfect! They re-made the movie a couple of years ago with Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka and I've just got to say that the whole thing creeped me out. Yes Mr. Wonka is slightly on the edge of being insane in general but Depp made him almost have a psychotic feel. SO if you want to watch the movie for the first time I would definitely go with the first one. :)

Have you read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Was it a favorite as a kid? Did you like the movie? Old one or new one?















5 comments:

  1. Aww I love Roald Dahl! Good choice. :-)

    For me I can't compare the two different movies- they were both so different! I lived the oompa loompas from the first and Johnny Depp from the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice!!! Dahl wrote a great, well crafted commentary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this book and the original movie! But seriously who couldn't love something with so much chocolate involved???

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! I try to always comment back :)